Sections: Information | Description | Reviews | Awards | Criticism and Analysis | Fun Stuff | Covers | Afrikaans, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Czech, French, German, Norwegian, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, and Vietnamese Covers
- First editions:
- Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., 1961, USA.
- Illustrated by: Nancy Ekholm Burkert
- Allen & Unwin, 1967, UK.
- Illustrated by: Michel Simeon
- Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., 1961, USA.
- Challenged at the Deep Creek Elementary School in Charlotte Harbor, Fla. (1991) because it is “not appropriate reading material for young children.”
- Challenged at the Pederson Elementary School in Altoona, Wis. (1991) and at the Morton Elementary School library in Brooksville, Fla. (1992) because the book contains the word “ass” and “promotes” the use of drugs (tobacco, snuff) and whiskey.
- Removed from classrooms in Stafford County, Va. Schools (1995) and placed in restricted access in the library because the story contains crude language and encourages children to disobey their parents and other adults.
- Recent news:
- “‘I look and smell,’ Aunt Sponge declared…”
- “We may see a Creature with forty-nine heads…”
- “I’ve eaten many strange and scrumptious dishes in my time…”
- “Aunt Sponge was terrifically fat…”
- “Aunt Spiker was thin as a wire…”
- “Once upon a time…”
- “Down they go…”
- “Oh, hooray for the storm and the rain…”
- “My friends, this is the Centipede, and let me make it known…”
- Related books:
- Hey! Listen to This – Stories to Read Aloud
- It’s Heaven to be Seven
- Roald Dahl 15 Book Box Set
- Roald Dahl Collection
- Roald Dahl’s Glorious Galumptious Story Collection
- Roald Dahl’s Scrumdiddlyumptious Sticker Book
- The Marvellous Roald Dahl Library
- The Puffin Roald Dahl Collection 2
- The Roald Dahl Centenary Boxed Set
- The Roald Dahl Collection
- James and the Giant Peach (1996)
- Audio Books:
- 2 Favourite Stories read by Roald Dahl
- 4 Favourite Stories read by Roald Dahl
- 5 Favourite Stories read by Roald Dahl
- James and the Giant Peach read by Roald Dahl
- James and the Giant Peach read by Jeremy Irons
- James and the Giant Peach read by Julian Rhind-Tutt
- James and the Giant Peach read by Andrew Sachs
- James and the Giant Peach read by full cast
- Roald Dahl Audio Books read by David Walliams, Stephen Fry, Kate Winslet, Chris O'Dowd, Julian Rhind-Tutt, Peter Serafinowicz, Miranda Richardson, Richard Ayoade, Douglas Hodge
- Roald Dahl Audio Books (10 CD Collection) read by Simon Callow, Miriam Margolyes, Geoffrey Palmer, James Bolam, Andrew Sachs, June Whitfield, Timothy West, Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry, Martin Jarvis
- The Roald Dahl Audio Collection read by Roald Dahl
- The Roald Dahl Soundbook read by Roald Dahl
- TV Shows:
- Jackanory (1965)
- Buy this book:
A little magic can take you a long way.
After James Henry Trotter’s parents are tragically eaten by a rhinoceros, he goes to live with his two horrible aunts, Spiker and Sponge. Life there is no fun, until James accidentally drops some magic crystals by the old peach tree and strange things start to happen. The peach at the top of the tree begins to grow, and before long it’s as big as a house. Inside, James meets a bunch of oversized friends—Grasshopper, Centipede, Ladybug, and more. With a snip of the stem, the peach starts rolling away, and the great adventure begins!
- “Books for Young People” by Alice Dalgliesh (The Saturday Review)
- “The Wonderful World of Dahl” by Sean Kelly (New York Times) – review of movie tie-in book
- Massachusetts Children’s Award (USA 1982)
Criticism and Analysis
- “In Absentia Parentis: Confronting the Uncanny Orphan in Roald Dahl’s James and the Giant Peach“
- Essay by James M. Curtis published in Children’s Literature Association Quarterly
Sotheby’s Dahl Auction