Sections: Information | Description | Reviews | Awards | Fun Stuff | Teacher Ideas | Covers | Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese Covers
- First editions:
- Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1984, USA.
- Jonathan Cape, 1984, Great Britain.
- The schoolboy belief that licorice is made from rat’s blood also appears in “The Ratcatcher.”
- Related books:
- Audio Books:
- Radio Shows:
- Boy (2016)
- Buy this book:
Where did Roald Dahl get all of his wonderful ideas for stories?
From his own life, of course! As full of excitement and the unexpected as his world-famous, best-selling books, Roald Dahl’s tales of his own childhood are completely fascinating and fiendishly funny. Did you know that Roald Dahl nearly lost his nose in a car accident? Or that he was once a chocolate candy tester for Cadbury’s? Have you heard about his involvement in the Great Mouse Plot of 1924? If not, you don’t yet know all there is to know about Roald Dahl. Sure to captivate and delight you, the boyhood antics of this master storyteller are not to be missed!
- “In real life the witch won…” by Hazel Rochman (New York Times)
- Boston Globe-Horn Books Book Award for Excellence in Children’s Literature (USA 1985)
Sotheby’s Dahl Auction 1997
- Boy – “Goat’s Tobacco” Activities
- Includes a number of story analysis exercises pertaining to the “Goat’s Tobacco” incident
- Boy – Book Review & Activity
- Fun activity to help improve students’ ability to write with descriptive details that allow the reader to visualize in their head.
- Boy – Unit Lesson Plan
- Includes unit of instruction for 20 lessons, 5 lesson plans, condensed first lesson, autobiographical scaffold, and comparative question
- Boy – Vague Pronouns
- Students read and analyze a mentor text (an excerpt from the book), write their own narrative vignette, and analyze their use of pronouns in their vignette.
- Quick Student Workbooks
- Designed to get students thinking critically about the text they read and provide a guided study format to facilitate in improved learning and retention