These exercises were sent in by Jocelyn Allen, an Australian teaching English in Germany. They pertain to the “Goat’s Tobacco” incident in the book and have been specially designed for non native English speakers. Thanks Jocelyn!
1. Summarise the story “Goat’s Tobacco”. 150 words.
2. Analyse the story “Goat’s Tobacco” paying attention to: 700 words
- Rising Action
- Falling Action
- Themes – Love & Jealousy
- Figurative Language
3. “…and it was inevitable that he would have to suffer for it sooner or later.”
Why does the narrator want revenge? Explain your answer, making sure you use a minimum of 3 quotes to support your view. 200 words
4. “…we all sprang up and ran for our lives and jumped off the rocks into the deep water.”
Reflecting on the story as a whole, how does the conclusion successfully finish the story? 200 words
* Count your words for each section!