- Full title: Some Time Never: A Fable for Supermen
- Note: This book is also referred to as Sometime Never. However, the cover of the Scribner’s first edition clearly shows “Some” and “Time” as separate words, so that’s why I’ve chosen to refer to it this way.
- First editions:
- Scribner’s, 1948, USA.
- Collins, 1949, Great Britain.
- Dahl’s rare first novel! No longer in print.
- Buy this book:
From my Dahl Biography:
Some Time Never was published in the United States in 1948 by Scribner’s, and in England a year later by Collins. There’s no easy way to put this: the book was a total flop. It was almost an adult version of the Gremlins story, beginning with the Battle of Britain and continuing on to the end of the world. Despite its utter failure, the book is remarkable for being the first book about nuclear war to be published in the United States after Hiroshima.
- “Survivors of World War IV” by Bergen Evans published in April 3, 1948 issue of The Saturday Review (read online)