Fantastic Mr. Fox
These activity ideas were sent to me by Karen from Canada. Thank you, Karen!
- 2 circle or 3 circle Venn diagram comparing 2 or 3 of the farmers.
- List character traits/facts in fact boxes: i.e. turkey and apple farmer, dwarf, shoots Mr. Fox, cleverest farmer. I usually list 20 traits/facts in fact boxes and have students cut them out. Then they sort and place under the character they feel the fact/trait matches (lots of language!!).
- Problem/solution chart: have students predict solutions to the problems the fox family faces before they read how problems are solved in the novel.
- Readers Theatre: have students read to the performance level an excerpt from the novel. Usually works well if it's a conversation between 2 animals.
- Mrs. Fox says that Mr. Fox is 'fantastic'. Do you agree or disagree with this? Explain your thinking.
- Make a moving story line: 2 pieces of large paper stapled together around the perimeter. Draw settings from the story and make main characters. Using sharp scissors, cut a slit to show the movement of characters from one setting to another. Move characters around and tell one part of the story orally.
Created and maintained by Kristine Howard with assistance from Michael Mander